BibTool: A Tool for Manipulating BibTeX Data Bases
- Pretty-printing BibTeX data bases adjustable by lots of parameters.
- Syntactic checks with error recovery superior to BibTeX and helpful error messages.
- Semantic checks can be specified by the user.
- Sorting and merging of BibTeX data bases according to a free definable sort key.
- Generation of uniform reference keys according to predefined rules or according to an own specification.
- Selecting references used in one publication which are found by analyzing an .aux file.
- Selecting references by a set of criteria (regular expressions).
- Controlled rewriting of fields utilizing regular expressions to specify the rewriting rules.
- Macro (String) expansion to eliminate the need of extra string definitions.
- Collecting statistics about one or more BibTeX data bases.
BibTool contains a documentation written in LaTeX of more than 70 pages (and still growing).
BibTool is written in C and has been compiled on various operating systems like flavors of UN*X and MSDOG machines. It is distributed in source code. No compiled versions are available from the author (Useless to ask!).